7 ways of making the most of your time at UPES
From online courses to participating in clubs and exploring the beautiful city, there is so much that students can engage in while studying at UPES
A student’s life is not merely about learning from books restricted to classrooms; what is happening in the wider world is equally important as it helps to break the barriers of your comfort zone. Being reserved is often mistaken as a lack of confidence and talent. Hence, you have to express your opinions and grab the opportunities that come your way. As a student of UPES, I would like to share a few ways, which can help you make the most of your time at the university.
1) Join a club: UPES has several clubs, like Sanskriti, Quizzards, Manthan, to name a few. Whatever your hobbies are, you will find a club that aligns with your interest, whether it is football or drama or trekking. In case you do not have any hobby, then this is the perfect time to try something and in the process get an opportunity to meet new people.
2) Make connections: When you move to college, you barely know anyone. But, remember that this holds true for every other student who has joined college that year. So, try to interact with people as much as you can. The more you interact, the sooner you will make friends. Apart from that UPES gives us freedom and exposure to explore different things and you must take advantage of everything that the university has to offer.
3) Learn to cook: It probably would not hit you until you move away from home that how dependent you have been on your mother. It would be helpful for you to learn some simple recipes to fix yourself a quick bite. Since everybody loves food, it will help you gain new friends as well.
4) Online training: Join a course, which suits your field. For example, if you are a computer science student, then you can do courses like ethical hacking, programming with python and web analytics. Undergoing these courses through online platforms such as Coursera, you will learn a lot and the certificates will add on to your CV.
5) Attend classes regularly: It is important to achieve your learning goals. You may not get exposed to the depth of knowledge from your professors and lecturers once you leave. This is what some students forget. It might be difficult to wake up early morning but think of the fun-filled and interesting things you could learn that day. Consequently, your grades could suffer if you do not attend lectures, seminars or tutorials. One main goal of coming to university should be to achieve a grade that you can be proud of.
6) Fun at MAC: The Multi Activity Centre at UPES or MAC, with state-of-the-art infrastructure, has a fully-equipped gym, indoor basketball and badminton courts, a lounge and magnificent theatrical space. It is a perfect place to chill, work out and have quality time. If you are a fitness freak, then Mac is the right place for you.
7) Trek and hangout: UPES is situated in the picturesque foothills of the Himalayas. During weekends, take time off to explore the beautiful treks with your friends and eat at the food joints around. Maggi with friends, gossips over a cup of tea and visits to parantha junctions on sunny Sundays have their own charm.
(The writer is pursuing BBA Oil and Gas from School of Business, UPES)
Also read: 5 life lessons that UPES taught me