International Yoga Day is celebrated all over the world on June 21. United Nations General Assembly declared 21st of June as International Yoga Day on the 11th of December in 2014. Yoga is an age-old mental, physical and spiritual practice for around 5,000 years. Every year International World Yoga Day has a specific theme. The theme for this World Yoga Day is “Yoga for the Heart.”
Studies are never over for students. It is an endless process. Students need to prepare for several exams, assignments, projects and research papers. They are expected to excel in all the subjects and score well in exams. One of the most common problems faced by students while preparing for exams or studying is that they tend to forget what they have studied. This can be due to several reasons like sleep deprivation, unhealthy diet, less concentration, low energy and fatigue. Students tend to panic, lose their calm and get nervous when they have an important exam the other day. Well! Students you should not worry at all as practicing yoga will not only help sharpen your brain but will also enhance your memory, concentration and will help you score well in your exams.
Have a look at top 8 yoga asanas that will help you perform better:
- Surya Namaskar: The energetic yoga pose, Surya Namaskar is composed of twelve postures that help in the smooth functioning of different organs in the body. The yoga pose helps in enhancing strength, immunity stability and flexibility of body and mind. Students can perform Surya Namaskar in the morning before you start studying. Additionally, this yoga pose can help you lose weight as well.
2. Matsyasana: This yoga pose is also known as fish pose. The yoga asana helps in blood circulation to the head and relieves stress. This exercise is performed by bending your right leg and placing the right foot on top of the left thigh. Do the same for the left leg. You can use your elbows to lift the back and you can rest your head on the ground simultaneously.
3. Hatha Yoga: A variation of pranayama, this pose can help cleanse your system. The yoga pose focuses on rapid forceful exhalations and the passive inhalations which helps strengthen your abdominal muscles and helps to control your blood sugar levels.
4. Nadi Shodhan: This yoga exercise is amazing as it helps in balancing your emotional energy and get rid of negative thoughts. Use the right hand to manipulate the flow of the breath flowing through alternate nostrils. You can use the right-hand thumb to close and open the right nostril and the right hand’s ring finger to close the left nostril. Perform this yoga asana on empty stomach, and keep your back, neck and spine straight. This exercise will help students who have sinus.
5. Vajrasana: This yoga pose is also known as the Diamond Pose. For this yoga pose, you must kneel while doing some breathing exercises. It will help you become mentally and emotionally strong. Unlike other yoga asanas, you can perform this yoga after a meal.
6. Bhramari Pranayama: There are a lot of distractions these days which makes it difficult for children to concentrate and even memorizing becomes difficult. But thanks to this particular asana you can fix your memory as well as concentration issues. The humming sound and vibrations that are made while performing this asana can calm and soothe your mind, reduce stress and some negative emotions like frustration, anger and anxiety.
7. Mountain pose: Another simple and unassuming posture that can help you concentrate better is mountain pose. This posture is effective in helping you focus your mind on your breathing and thereby relaxing it. This is also beneficial to relieve you from headaches and insomnia.
8. Vrikshasana Tree Stand Pose: This is one stretch that will help you balance well. Initially, the posture might be a bit difficult but later on you will be able to develop a good sense of physical balance. This yoga pose will help keep your mind calm while improving your concentration and focus at the same time.
Students, you must practice the above mentioned yoga asanas on a regular basis. This will help improve your concentration, enhance your academic performance and have a positive impact on your health.
Happy International Yoga Day!