Online exams during COVID-19: Tips and tricks for success
Online exam is quite similar to that of an in-class test; however, the online environment does involve some differences that require a bit of extra awareness and preparation
In the current unprecedent crisis many universities are switching to online examinations. The concept of online exams might be new and a bewildering experience for many students. Students may be unaware of certain skills and strategies that will enable them to perform at their best. Though the online exam is almost similar to that of an in-class test, the online environment does involve some differences that require a bit of extra awareness and preparation. But if you plan and prepare well, it should be a piece of cake. These simple tips listed below can help you can sail through it easily.
- Cramming: Rote learning is a complete no-no! Staying up all night cramming for your exams is not helpful at all. Cramming overtaxes your memory, and in turn you will remember less and tend to get confused about the study material. Online exams demand a higher degree of focus as there is no human interface and no extra time is permitted. The day prior to your exam you should just devote time to revise, go to bed early and keep yourself calm. This will give rest to your brain and you will eventually perform better during exam.
- Read and understand the test guidelines: A student should be aware of the important details related to the exam. Some common guidelines include specific date and time, the window of exam time, duration of the exam, specific location (e.g., a campus computer lab), parameters of the test (multiple choice question, case analysis, fill-in-the-blank or essay) and any other important instructions related to the exam. Don’t forget to click ‘save’ after every attempt.
- Check your computer: Checking your computer or laptop well before the exam is a must. You should take a practice test beforehand and find out whether your equipment is working or not. Apart from this, you should also double check your Wi-Fi connection. If these technical issues are sorted out in advance, the risk of inadvertently ending your exam and possibly losing results will be eliminated. Make sure not to lose your cool in case of a technical glitch.
- Prepare well: Like any other exam, you need to be thorough with the study material even if it’s an ‘open book’ exam. Many students assume that online exams are a cakewalk because of access to textbooks, notes or other resources while taking the exam. But students should know that they will get NO TIME to look at the notes. Therefore, you need to be familiar with the course content even if you can use study resources during the exam.
- Time management skills: Time management is extremely essential for any individual to succeed. Judicious use of time is possible if you develop a study plan and allocate the right time for the right activity. For instance, set the number of hours for a subject, figure out the time when you are most productive and utilize your time well.
Also read: Top 5 Health Tips Which Can Help Students Perform Better In Exams
Thanks for Success Tips article. Found this article link in the social media and read it once. Became addict of your website. Keep blogging. Thanks. I have posted this question at various forum and finally found the answer here. Smooth Clean Beautfiul piece of blog writing I have ever seen. very informative article. Thanks.